Steeped in the culinary traditions of the Southwest, ambitious chefs from across New Mexico are taking the cuisine in exciting new directions. They are experimenting with chilies, local meats, and modern cooking techniques to interpret classic dishes in innovative ways. Many of these chefs are graduates of a New Mexico culinary school. Earning a culinary degree is a fantastic introduction into the world of being a professional chef. As part of a New Mexico culinary school program you will learn about the flavors of the Southwest and beyond. You will gain all the experience you need to work in the nicest restaurants in places like Albuquerque and Santa Fe. No matter what your schedule, online and in person learning options from New Mexico culinary schools make it convenient to get your degree.
As a New Mexico culinary professional, you will:
- Bake, roast, grill, broil, or fry meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
- Check freshness of food and ingredients before cooking.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes.
- Clean work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, and silverware.
Some career figures for culinary professionals in New Mexico:
- Average annual salary: $21,330
- Currently employed: 6,170
- Employment outlook: 13% Growth over the next ten years
- Most popular degrees: Associate’s, Certificate
Figures courtesy of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Employment & Wages database.
New Mexico Culinary Schools Enrolling Now
Ashworth offers respected, affordable online degree programs and expert guidance to help you meet your goals while balancing work and family. Now you can get the precise training you need to become the professional you’ve always wanted to be. And you can go as far as your education takes you.